TWU LOCAL 555 SCHOLARSHIP – OFFICIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS:
1. Complete Section A for current TWU 555 member applying for this scholarship.
2. If applicant is 18 years of age or younger, or is not a TWU Local 555 member, a parent or guardian must sign Section B verifying the applicant’s parent or guardian is a TWU Local 555 member. Dependents must be verified by Recording Secretary.
3. Section D must be completed by the Principal, Director, or Registrar of the school you are currently attending or will attend. Upon completion of Sections A, B, C, and D, the application must be mailed to:
TWU Local 555
2608 Inwood Rd.
Dallas, TX 75235-7449
4. The application and essay must be presented to the Local Union by May 30th of the year in which the applicant is applying for fall scholarship and must be verified by the Recording Secretary.
To be eligible for a scholarship, the applicant:
1. Must be a graduating senior who will attend an accredited college, university or vocational school in the following fall term
2. Must be a current student in an accredited college, university or vocational school continuing classes in the following fall term or
3. Must be a Local 555 member continuing education OR whose parent or guardian is a Local 555 member in good standing. (Current Board members and families are not eligible.)
A two-page double-spaced essay is due along with your application. The essay must be about a historical event in the labor movement. Acceptable topics include: Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, May Day, 1892 Homestead Strike or the Battle of Cripple Creek (others are accepted only with approval from the Recording Secretary). The Scholarship Committee will determine recipients of scholarship awards based on these essays by June 30th each year. During the first week of July, award recipients will be individually notified by mail, and all applicants will be sent an email with notification that the award list is posted. Please note that due to the volume of applications we cannot provide any information on the status of an application before award announcements are made. One winner will be selected from each District of the verified applications for a scholarship in the amount of $2000.00. Scholarships will be awarded in July.
Please contact Recording Secretary Angela Kasse with any questions that you may have.